About the Montgomery Township Historical Society
The Montgomery Township Historical Society was founded in 1988 by a group of local residents concerned that the history of the township and surrounding North Penn area was being obliterated by rampant development. Since that time, the society has successfully worked with township officials and negotiated with developers to help preserve and/or find new uses for a variety of eighteenth and nineteenth century properties. These range from the John Selzer House (c.1830) which was saved from demolition and preserved as a private residence, to the nineteenth century farmhouse at the former Witchwood Dairy Farm property on Route 309 which is now a branch office of the Bank of America.
In addition to its preservation advocacy, MTHS is also involved in collecting and preserving photos, map and other artifacts that tell the story of our region’s growth from individual rural communities to a network of sprawling suburbs. Our goal is to use these materials to educate children, families and new township residents about the way our local history intersects with and reflects the history of our state and the nation as a whole.