Montgomery Township’s War Monument

Montgomery Township’s War Monument

“Dedicated to those who served their country”

The dedication of the township war monument at the Montgomery Consolidated School.

Shortly after the end of World War II, sometime around 1946–1947, residents gathered in the front schoolyard at what was then known as the Montgomery Township Consolidated School at the Five Points intersection. They were there for the dedication of the new monument commemorating Montgomery Township residents who served in World War II, as well as those residents who lost their lives during that war. School cafeteria benches were brought outside, dignitaries sat on a small, raised platform and a military band played  

The Montgomery Township war monument can be found at the township administration building.

After the school closed in 1965, the monument was moved to the Montgomery Township Administration Building, which, at that time, was located on Cowpath Road. Then in 1995 it moved again to the administration building’s current location at the corner of Stump and Horsham Roads. This well-travelled monument now sits to the right of the front door, and lists additional names of township residents who lost their lives in Korea and Lebanon.  (Photo 2)