It was following a brutal Battle of Germantown in October of 1777 when Washington and his troops retreated from Philadelphia and headed towards Valley Forge to camp for the winter. It was on their way to Valley Forge when Washington and his Generals were supposed to have camped at the house at Knapp Farm for 3 days. We will never know for sure, but based on geography, it’s certainly a good possibility. (Double click the photo to enlarge it and read the caption).
The bloodiest fighting of the Battle of Germantown centered around Cliveden, the house of Chief Justice Benjamin Chew. The British had control of Philadelphia at the time. Benjamin Chew and his family were removed from the house for their own safety by the Continental Congress as his close friend, George Washington was moving his troops towards Philadelphia in an attempt to retake it. The British then occupied the house. The house is located in the Mount Airy section of Philadelphia and is a beautiful stone mansion. There are still marks in the side of the building from bullet fire sustained during the battle.
Check out the Cliveden website.